Saturday, July 18, 2009

Single Parent Movies


HBO is running Author! Author! today and no matter how many times I see this movie, when I run across it, I watch and I'm charmed. Al Pacino plays an almost-single dad who is a quirky playwrite and vegetarian. You see kids eating salads which I love, and swearing, which is amusing (and not pc). The fridge is loaded with greens and veggies and the parent is an insomniac--just like our house. It's warm and funny and I got a big crush on Al Pacino when I was a kid because of this movie. It's totally dated but still refreshing compared to much of what's being offered in cinema these days. This is comfort viewing....like coming home to milk and cookies baby.

Another great single parent movie: Chocolate--My favorite. The always awesome Juliette Binoche plays a wandering spirit chocolateier who wears beautiful clothes, charms a small town and finds love with Johnny Depp. When I was pregnant, Anouk topped my list for girl's names because of the cool little daughter in this movie.

Other single parent movis off the top of my head: The Holiday (Jude Law), Sixth Sense (Toni Collette), Sleepless in Seattle (Tom Hanks), Dan in Real Life (Steve Carell), The Martian Child (John Cusak), Erin Brakovich (Julia Roberts), Mermaids (Cher).


No comments: